I have tickets to four festivals this year but in the end only attended one. Here’s what I’ve learned from my singular experience and what my friends here have shared:
- People can handle their substances. People don’t seem to binge drink and get zombie messed up on drugs
- Berliners love being in nature. Living in the concrete jungle draws out a deeper joy and appreciation (and protection from littering) in nature
- The sound system are tuned. A high percentage of Berliners have a higher bar and expectation for sound quality and it’s met
- Stages and environmental details have extra care. A lot of personality is brought to details of the aesthetics (stage design, fun notes, good lighting)
- Food is often healthy and vegan friendly
- They are more niche. There are more festivals and of different sizes. They’re not racing to become the biggest, baddest, best festival. They joyfully sit inside of their size and grow organically.
- People sleep! Similar to binge drinking, some people actually rest at night and come back not completely exhausted and drained from the event.
I went to a small festival, I’d rather not advertise which one, but it was wonderful and there was a rainbow!